Saturday 7 June 2014

London coffee update, plus crabs!

I've been quiet for a while because life got in the way. Last week I'm not sure why, but this week it was because I was taking a training course that took over my life. W went off on a diving trip from Wednesday and honestly, thank goodness he did because I had my usual 2 hour commute there and back, plus course 9 to 5, plus 2-3 hours homework and revision in the evening. I don't mean to whine, cause I know that other people may have to work longer hours than this in more difficult jobs, but this was a bit of a shock for me!

The course was Prince 2 project management, something that I had been meaning to do for ages. I passed the Foundation exam on Wednesday and I took the Practitioner exam yesterday. I'm feeling reasonably confident, although not 100% confident, that I passed. I should hear in a few weeks.

The unexpected highlight of the week was the coffee and food. We were based in a building in Moorgate and walking from Moorgate tube station to the course, I had to pass the Harris + Hoole coffee shop on London Wall. I've written before about finding good coffee, and honestly words cannot praise too highly how good these guys are! I loved the little shop, I loved the staff (so friendly and welcoming, without being fake), I loved the chalk menu and drawings, I loved the cookies, I loved the lemonade, and above all I loved the soya flat white.
The menu: who wouldn't feel better about their day looking at this? 
The other highlight was the small food fair that we found under the Gherkin building on Thursday. Deciding what to have was really difficult.

This was basically one third of the choice. And indicates how many people were getting lunch there. 
I finally made my choice. 
I never had a soft shell crab before. I had the one with fennel, and it was excellent!
This is going to sound Pollyanna-ish of me, but I love finding the things that make an otherwise not particularly interesting week great. Prince 2 is pretty dry, so although I wanted to learn it and I'm glad I have, it was never going to be an exciting week. But the new location, the coffee, the food and some of the people on the course made it a really fun and interesting week, surprising even me!

No comments:

Post a Comment