Thursday 8 May 2014

Day not going as planned (because it wasn't planned)

Why do some days just make me feel so incompetent? 
Not me, but a stock photo.
This is probably how I look swimming though.


Poor planning yesterday meant that although I wanted to work from home this morning, I didn't have my laptop with me. Poor planning and needing a larger rucksack. 

I only thought to print out a relevant set of powerpoint slides for the meeting I had to go in for when it was too late to print them. Meeting went ok, but I felt unprofessional. 

The jewellers whom I asked to make a ring larger have done something awful to it - the gold is now pitted and discoloured. The guy tried several times to explain that it had either come in like that, which it hadn't, or that this would look normal to me after some time had passed. Thank goodness I wasn't taking my engagement ring to them, just a little gold signet ring. That said, for various reasons this ring is precious too, and I'm sitting here kicking myself repeatedly for being a cheapskate and not going somewhere more reliable. 

Because I didn't go into the office I didn't pick up my towel, so I ended up going swimming without it. And realised once I was already wet. Situation resolved using a combination of the hairdryer and the handful of paper napkins someone gave me yesterday in a cafe. 

And having arrived home, I've realised I'm missing an event at work that I really really wanted to attend. So I'm sitting here kicking myself about that too. 

None of these problems are hugely significant in the grand scheme of things - I do know that. But they were all within my control, and they all feature problems of my own creation due to failings in myself that I've known of for years:
  • failure to plan ahead and look up what I'm doing tomorrow/ this afternoon
  • impatience, leading me to take the nearest/ quickest option, rather than the best option
As I write this cathartic note, I do see that I recovered well in a number of cases. I coped without the laptop this morning, and I got some work done without it that I couldn't have used it for anyway. I coped without a towel. 

But once again, I am marking my report card "must try harder". 

If anyone's reading this, I'd welcome suggestions for how to become a better prepared person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment