Wednesday 7 May 2014

What to do after Couch to 5k, Part the third

So, as someone easily injured (hips, achilles tendon multiple times, IT band problems and - pathetically - terrible blisters on my arches) what is the plan post C25k?
My beautiful On Running trainers. 


I spend some time googling to see what others recommend. And actually there's very little out there. There are suggestions to run a race and hurrahs that you have got up to the 5k level. But not much about what you might do next, how to keep injuries at bay, and how to make running a permanent part of your life. 

Now, I'm by no means qualified to make suggestions on this, so please don't take any of what follows as advice. This is simply my own plan, after several previous false starts. 
  • Keep walking upwards of 11 000 steps per day
I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it, I find it very motivating. I befriended a group of people on the forums, only one of whom I actually know, and I am now competing with them. Most days I can walk 11 000 steps provided I walk from the station into work without taking the Tube. 
  • Keep running about 3 times per week, 4 if I really feel like it. 
I love running, and often when I've finished a run, I find myself wanting to run more soon. But I know that when I run 5-6 times per week that this reduces time for other forms of exercise, and it can put too much strain on my joints. 
  • Do some cross-training. 
I've chosen swimming once per week because it's relatively easy for me to get to, low impact and good for flexibility. I'm great at breaststroke, much worse at front crawl, so the plan may include getting a couple of lessons. 

I go to an amazing yoga class on Tuesdays. The teacher is very experienced, funny and caters well for all abilities (I am not particularly bendy). I've found that since I've been going - about a year - I've got stronger and more flexible. So that will stay. 
  • Do some work with body weights
This is going to be the hardest, for two reasons. First, I've quit my gym so I'm much more limited in what I can use. And second, to be honest, I don't really enjoy doing weights. It's boring to me. This is odd, because when I rowed regularly I preferred the weights room. I'm quite stocky and I grow muscle fast, so I tended to be able to lift good weights compared with other people. But when it's just me - boring! Hmm, maybe I need to find a way to motivate myself on weights...

And that's about it. I'd like to run a half marathon someday, and I think I'll run a few 5 and 10ks over the summer. More on those as they come up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment