Monday 5 May 2014

What to do after Couch to 5k, Part Deux

About 10 weeks ago, I decided to do Couch to 5k again. I keep reading studies like this and suggestions that the Duchess of Cambridge was advised to exercise less before getting pregnant. (No links to that, as I don't want to link to red-tops, but I'm sure it's Google-able.) Plus my mum kept telling me she thought I was exercising too much. This demonstrates more that she has an overblown idea of how much exercise I actually do than anything else. But these things did have an effect and I would start running and then think: 'I'm stopping myself from conceiving!' and feel very guilty. 

However, more recently, I read an article or book about running stress. I can't remember where, but it may have been in Tread Lightly. (will try to come back and edit) Anyway, this noted that although stress hormones are raised when running, the overall effect on the runner is lowered stress hormones as a result of running. Epiphany! Not exercising was doing my head in. Running is my favourite form of exercise, and I missed it. And I was getting fatter, which also couldn't be good for fertility. So let's do a little running - enough to do say a 5 or 10k - but no marathons for a while. 

So I started again, this time using the NHS podcast. Although I think some of the advice given is a bit odd, e.g. the firm advice to heel-plant and to breath on a four steps per full breath (both inhalation and exhalation), it's encouraging to have someone telling me she thinks I'm doing well, and reminding me that the main think is to run and not to fixate on how fast I am. I actually shed a few tears on one of the runs when 'Laura' said "you're doing really well". I kept wanting to say, "yes, but I used to be able to run 20 miles!" but I didn't. 

Mentally, it's quite hard to start from scratch for the 6th or 7th time. To acknowledge your past, fitter self. But I knew that if I was going to make it without injury, I was going to have to take things really slowly. There was no harm in taking my time. As the runs went on, I enjoyed them more. This particular version of Couch to 5k, as opposed to the one in Runner's World's Run Your Butt Off, seems more satisfying. Rather than continuing to use a walking break until about week 9, the NHS podcast calls on you to run continuously from week 7, which is mentally challenging, but physically pleasing. 

I managed every week on schedule, and without injury, which is astonishing. And my reward? A beautiful new running watch. In many ways this is over-engineered for what I need, but I love seeing the data and frankly I think it's a thing of beauty.

My new toy. Honestly, who wouldn't be motivated by this?


So that brings me back to the original question, nearly two posts later. What to do after Couch to 5k? 

The short answer, evidenced by all the times I quit running only to start again (more than the times I quit smoking = twice, the second time being successful for the last 12 years or so), is 'Keep running'. But that covers a fairly wide span. 

I had been thinking I would pick up on the plan for my current speed in Run Less, Run Faster. I even went to the extent of working out my schedule in a spreadsheet. And then I ran my first run with the Garmin. I wasn't paying any attention to my heart rate, and at the end of the run I was shocked to be told by the watch's Recovery Advisor that I needed to take 72 hours to recover. Apparently I had been running at 90% of maximum heart-rate for nearly the whole run. 

My real max heart rate is definitely higher than the one the usual formulae give. In that particular run, which felt hard-ish to me, but not flat out, I peaked at 187 BPM, which is 7 BPM higher than the traditional 220-age and 11 BPM higher than the gender-adjusted 209-(0.9 x age). But even so, I found myself thinking 'What if I trained in the zones appropriate for me? Would this help avoid injury?'. Today I ran 30 minutes aiming for 142-144 BPM. It was the easiest run I've done in ages, and I found myself really enjoying it. 

So I've shelved my plans for Run Less, Run Faster for at least a month. I don't think there's any harm in going slow a little more. At some point I want to move into interval training proper, but I think I'll play with these heart rates for a while and build my base.

No comments:

Post a Comment