Saturday 10 May 2014

The perfect hair

In a change from recent settings, I want to write today about hair. And more specifically shampoo. Not just shampoo, oh no, but also <intake of breath> conditioner. Yes, we are looking to write about things that really matter here on this blog. 

A pretty good hair day for me.

I have struggled with my hair for years. I quite liked being a bit red-haired as a child because so many heroines in children's books are red-headed. Obviously there's Anne of Green Gables, and Pippi Longstocking, but there's also the wonderful Alanna from the books by Tamora Pierce. There's some good movie and TV redheads like Willow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer as well. I was less keen on it being wavy on average, although this means curly underneath and straight on top. 

Growing older, I longed to have long, straight, dramatic dark hair. I think I wanted to look like a girl with a secret or maybe it was just the fact that I was a bit of a teen goth. I never dyed my hair, but I do remember thinking that if there was a heaven, that I would have brunette hair there and (bonus) would be able to to the splits. 

Move onto the working world, and for years I felt my hair should project the idea that I was reliable, responsible and capable. I don't think it ever really has. I have used straighteners and had a Brazilian keratin treatment (my hair broke off in chunks). I have tried so many hundreds of times to blow dry it myself. Typically it looks good once every 6 months, when I get it cut. I have tried hundreds of shampoos from supermarket to high end, all of which promise to de-frizz and tame hair. Weirdly they often work once, but rarely twice. 

And then last summer, aged 38, I heard of the 'curly girl' method. I spent a weekend while W was away playing around with it and I've not looked back since. I've tried to convert my sister and mother, but unsuccessfully to date... This sounds daft, but I had never thought of my hair as curly, but rather as straight with a problem attitude. 

I'm currently using Pureology shampoo and conditioner, the shampoo being no-sulphate. Previously, I've used Inecto coconut conditioner and a cheap Superdrug conditioner as a co-wash, and I've also splashed out on Devacurl products via Amazon. I loved Devacurl, but it's a bit pricey for constant use.

I've also found that the two best things to keep the curl in my hair (which is still on the wavy rather than curly side) are a creamy leave-in conditioner and hair gel. Again, I never figured out gel before (apart from the one-off buzzcut I had in the eighties and regretted within 2 days. That used gel as I grew it out).  I'm using Shea Moisture and Curl Junkie at present and it smells divine. 

Looking forward, I want to try  Wen products as a treat when the Pureology runs out, and I'd also like to try Jessicurl products, more Shea Moisture and Curl Junkie (although sadly Curl Junkie is no longer being sold in the UK). 

Having written this blog, I feel I sound really shallow. But moving from feeling as though I have no control over my hair to knowing how to handle it has made the most enormous difference to my life. It makes me more confident, I feel prettier, and I feel proud of my curls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment